According to TopQuadrant co-founder and CEO Irene Polikoff, “We found many enterprise customers struggling with the tension between keeping a centralized master vocabulary system and keeping a set of vocabularies tailored to the needs of individual business units. A centralized system could be slow, inflexible, and at best a mediocre fit to the needs of each division, but distributed vocabularies tended to be ad-hoc collections of spreadsheets hidden on user desktops. This led to a proliferation of disconnected vocabularies, subverting the value of a controlled vocabulary. We built EVN to give these customers the best of both worlds, letting individual departments design custom vocabularies while standards-based technologies can coordinate these vocabularies as a distributed, cooperative network.”
Key features of EVN include:
- Flexible Data Model Ability to define and use any number of custom attributes and relationships
- Vocabulary Editing Cloning, merging, repositioning and re-numbering of concepts; global edit operations for selected groups of concepts
- Search Simple lookups and advanced search, tree and list views, visual graph exploration and query
- SKOS Built-in support for all standard SKOS attributes and hierarchical, associative and equivalency relationships
- Automatic processing Ability to create custom validation rules and automated script processing via SPARQL Rules and SPARQLMotion; SKOS and OWL rules and constraints ready to use out of the box
- Import/Export Import/Export from RDBMs, RSS feeds, spreadsheets (CSV), XML, SPARQL endpoints, RDF and OWL
- Audit Trails Every change is logged and time stamped, change history can be searched, changes can be rolled back if desired
- Unlimited Work-in-Progress Copies Virtual work-in-progress copies of vocabularies allow parallel development of versions and enable controlled publishing, review and approval workflow
- Impact Analysis Ability to query and create longitudinal analysis on any aspect of the vocabularies
- Role-based Access Control Ability to define view-only, edit and manage roles for each vocabulary and for the individual working versions of a vocabulary
- Reporting Built-in reports for hierarchy exports, spell checking, constraint violations and graph statistics Advanced query-building tools and reporting through graphical interfaces.
- Merging RDF standard universal identifiers provide easy “hooks” for merging vocabularies
- Systems Integration Integrate with existing enterprise or vocabulary management systems via Web Services interfaces and APIs
- Rich Web Interface Types (classes), properties and instances can be defined in an intuitive web-based system that supports drag and drop, autocompletion and rich text editing
- Customizability On-the-fly creation of customized user interfaces that can meet the needs of each user group
- Open Architecture and Standards External data need not be transformed into a proprietary schema. TopBraid EVN offers native support for RDF, OWL and SPARQL
- Enterprise-ready Scalable and robust architecture with DBMS deployment (choice of relational and RDF databases) with LDAP integration for access control
TopBraid EVN is included as part of the new 3.4 release of TopQuadrant’s TopBraid Composer semantic web modeling and application development environment. A fully functional 30 day evaluation version of TopBraid Composer is available for download to run on Windows, Mac and Linux computers. See www.topquadrant.com for more details.
TopQuadrant is a global leader in semantic web software solutions, solution services and training programs. Established in 2001 with the mission to enable enterprises to be agile through practical application of Semantic Web technologies, TopQuadrant offers TopBraid Enterprise Vocabulary Net (TopBraid EVN) built on TopBraid Suite. TopBraid EVN is a flexible web-based solution for simplified development and management of interconnected controlled vocabularies. TopBraid Suite is an open, integrated platform for developing, deploying and maintaining applications based on W3C standards including RDF/S, SPARQL and OWL. TopQuadrant’s semantic web applications enable enterprises to master the challenges of the global marketplace by becoming more agile, reducing costs and creating competitive business processes that easily adapt to change. The company’s customers include Fortune 1000 corporations in retail, pharmaceutical, financial services, medical/healthcare, manufacturing, and energy industries as well as government agencies in the areas of defense, intelligence and airspace. For more information, visit www.topquadrant.com.