In today’s dynamic business environment, definitions of data are essential to understanding, integrating and provisioning enterprise information. In modern enterprises, this information is often managed in a distributed setting where its meaning and applicability depend on the local context. TopBraid EVN simplifies the development and management of interconnected vocabularies. With a convenient browser-based interface, it supports business stakeholders who need to collaborate on defining and linking enterprise vocabularies, taxonomies and metadata used for information sharing, data integration and search.
“We have seen many requirements and initiatives being launched by enterprises across industries to deploy such comprehensive knowledge or content infrastructures,” said Irene Polikoff, CEO and co-founder of TopQuadrant. “This version of TopBraid EVN directly responds to industry requests for more capable, connected and flexible infrastructures for digital content management.”
One customer that is already utilizing TopBraid EVN 4.3 is the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). The mission of the OECD is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. OECD’s Knowledge and Information Management (KIM) program aims to establish an integrated strategy and framework for managing and delivering information and knowledge in support of OECD’s goals. KIM Information Architecture (KIM IA) will enable collection, collaborative production, lifecycle management and semantic enrichment of all information created, received and disseminated by the organization. The architecture will also prepare OECD to meet its Open Data requirements.
“The OECD selected TopQuadrant’s TopBraid Enterprise Vocabulary Net 4.3 as the most suitable to meet these requirements,” said Simone Sergi, KIM Program Manager. “We expect that TopBraid EVN 4.3 release will provide our information managers with flexibility in modeling OECD vocabularies and metadata and that the improved integration with content management and text mining technologies will help us realize KIM’s goals.”
New features of TopBraid EVN 4.3 include:
- Improved Search: The new faceted search feature gives great flexibility in how you drill down into the data to find the patterns you need.
- Defining Constraints: A form-based interface for defining constraints lets you create rules about your data to improve data quality. These rules can be checked dynamically during editing or in batch as a report (for example, after importing data from another source).
- SharePoint Integration: EVN can link to a SharePoint server, listing documents tagged with selected vocabulary terms as hypertext links to those documents.
- Solr Integration: The use of the Solr search server makes both searching for data and facted search much quicker.
TopBraid EVN 4.3 also includes two new add-ons:
- The Ontology Editor provides a workgroup editing and governance environment with a web-based interface for general RDFS/OWL ontologies in addition to the SKOS-based models that EVN has always supported. This capability extends the many collaborative support capabilities that EVN provides, including role-based access, working copies, change tracking, and reporting. The Ontology Editor is provided to TopBraid EVN customers at no additional cost.
- EVN Tagger is a web-based tool for linking controlled vocabulary terms to content. Content resources are tagged, or annotated, through a visual user interface that displays the context for both the content and the vocabulary. The result is a set of metadata properties that establish a named relationship between the content and vocabulary, and vice versa, making it easier to use your metadata to add value to your content. The EVN Tagger is offered as an additional application module that can be added to TopBraid Enterprise Vocabulary Net.
A complete overview of the new features is available at TopQuadrant’s release notes. To learn more please visit TopBraid Enterprise Vocabulary Net.
Founded in 2001, TopQuadrant’s standards-based, out-of-the box solutions enable organizations to evolve their information infrastructure into a semantic ecosystem, which is the foundation for intelligent business capabilities and integrated big data. As a result, data can be organized, shared and exchanged regardless of its structure, origin or location. For digital media companies, TopQuadrant solutions enrich search functionality, facilitate metadata management and improve content monetization. For life sciences companies, TopQuadrant solutions accelerate drug discovery by providing a unified view of multiple data sources enabling informed decision making and more efficient clinical trials. For more information, visit http://www.topquadrant.com.