EDG 6.3 RELEASE
TopBraid EDG version 6.3 delivers a new user experience for editing and viewing asset collections. We are excited about delivering a significantly enhanced user experience and believe you will find the UI looking sleeker and the experience more enjoyable!
Users will now be able to customize and personalize page layouts and get easier access to different features all within a flexible single page. In particular, this change simplifies and streamlines creation of ontology models. We are attaching to the release notes several presentations that will help you familiarize yourself with these changes.
EDG version 6.3 also continues to deliver new functionality. A notable addition in 6.3 is the ability to annotate facts with additional statements. This can, for example, support capturing a provenance of a business term definition or an effective date for any value. Annotations can be made for any property value – relationship or attribute. Further, 6.3 improves support for repeated import and profiling of data sources. It also makes it easier to version a group of collections in one step. Improved APIs now provide GraphQL access to ontology models and to the change history (teamworks) data. These and other new features are described in more detail below.
Key Improvements of 6.3
Customizable Editor for Asset Collections
- The new EDG Editors lets users combine the most used features into one interface. For example, searching, diagrams, reports, queries and history panels. Each panel can be selected and dropped into a page wherever the user chooses. The panels can be rearranged, maximized, closed. TopBraid EDG includes some pre-built layouts (combinations of panels) but the user can also save and share their own layout designs.
- The new Editors have many other advantages over the previous version, such as right click menus, ability to see two or more assets side by side, click through from the SPARQL query results to editable forms, ability to use full text search to find assets in the tree hierarchies, a new asset list panel that lets users build sharable lists, improved source code editor and more. A new robust batch edit wizard has also been introduced. Users will find it to be much more feature rich and scalable than the previous batch edit facility. Tagging application has been fully revamped to deliver much improved user experience.
- The new Editors are switched on by default, but, if desired, users can still access the previous (6.2.x) Editor applications. The changes are numerous and are best presented visually. For these reasons, we have included an example screenshot below that shows one possible custom arrangement of panels and we also refer you to the attached presentations.
Asset Collection Versioning
Multiple asset collections can now be cloned and versioned together in one step, including their “includes”. To do this, place collections to clone into the “Basket” and use basket operations. “Basket” is available under the left navigation menu.
Support for Reification
Users can now annotate facts with additional statements. This can, for example, support capturing a provenance of a business term definition or an effective date for any value. Annotations can be made for any property value – relationship or attribute. Properties that can be reified and the kind of annotations that can be made are identified in ontology models.
Technically, EDG now supports RDF* data model. Annotations can be queried in SPARQL. To ensure standards compliance and interoperability when data is exported in RDF from EDG, reified statements are exported as RDF statements.
Support for SAML based authentication
EDG can now be configured for Single Sign-On (SSO) with SAML 2.0 and AD FS. Other Identity Providers (IDP) that support SAML 2.0 can be integrated as well. Please contact TopQuadrant support for configuration instructions.
Improvements to JDBC import for Data Assets
Data Assets ingested using JDBC imports now have the option for repeated, scheduled ingestion. If any of the changes need to be reviewed by data stewards, the refreshed data will be stored in a working copy, letting users verify changes prior to updating a production data asset collection.
Additional JDBC drivers can be added at runtime, up to three. Also, JTDS, Hive and PostgressSQL drivers have been added by TopQuadrant.
Import of Taxonomy Concepts from Documents
TopBraid EDG can now examine documents and suggest concepts to be added to a taxonomy based on the frequent terms found in a document.
Updates to GraphQL APIs
All asset collections, including ontologies, can now be queried using system GraphQL schemas such as meta-shapes. Teamworks (change history) graphs can also be queried. GraphQL mutations can now execute SPARQL UPDATEs and may include user-defined fields backed by an SWP script,
Additional improvements requested by EDG users
- Users no longer need to navigate to another page to create a new asset collection. Create New Collection button is now available from the application header bar on all pages.
- Options for customizing URI construction rules on imports.
- Display of the workflow diagrams has been improved. Transitions between states can now be made by clicking directly on a diagram. The diagrams are laid out automatically, users creating new workflows no longer need to specify display parameters.
- Performance improvements for pages that list available collections and for EDG home page.
- Display of error messages has been improved.
- Feature to specify default prefixes for all newly created asset collections.
- Spreadsheet importer now allows selecting system properties such as rdfs:seeAlso as target columns if they are explicitly declared using SHACL.
- Additional features for SHACL and GraphQL. See change-log for more details.
- “Find Asset Collection” page has been removed.
- Taxonomy Sharepoint connector has been removed.
- EDG editors are replaced with the new 6.3 editor. Older editors are still available in 6.3, but are scheduled for removal in the next release.
- Execute template queries for taxonomies will removed next release along with the older editors. Instead, a general feature for defining parametrized queries will be added and made available for all asset collections.
- The metadata section in the Setting tab will be removed next release now that settings-metadata is available directly in the new editor – use “home” icon.
- Includes based on subject area will be removed next release to allow more flexibility again in associating asset collection with multiple subject areas.
- IE browser is no longer supported as of 6.3, https://www.microsoft.com/en-
Known Issues fixed in 6.3.1
- A large import will have a delay running “post-processing rules”. This dialog will remain after the import and the rules will continue to run and possibly timeout. This can be ignored.
- Corpora binding type dropdown is broken.
- Resources from circular imports were incorrectly marked as read-only.
- Search the EDG was not indexing newly created graphs.
- Tasks could not be reassigned to a different user.
- Email notifications would fail when assigning a security role to a governance role in a subject area
- Right-click action to create concepts was available even for read-only scenarios.
- See TopBraid Suite 6.3.1 Change Log for additonal fixes and changes for 6.3.1.
Known Issues fixed in 6.3.2
- See TopBraid Suite 6.3.1 Change Log for bug fixes.