TopBraid EDG–Vocabulary Management (TopBraid EDG-VM) is key to improving search, achieving clarity on enterprise terminology and ensuring optimal re-use, delivery and navigation of information.
Note: (TopBraid EDG-VM) is equivalent to the formerly separate product, TopBraid EVN. The capabilities are exactly the same as in TB-EVN, but “EVN in EDG” also includes a powerful, configurable, global search capability called “Search the EDG.” It also offers a flexible growth path for customers to seamlessly add other packages available in EDG (e.g., Metadata or Reference Data Management), if needed.
See more details here: Enhanced TopBraid EVN Now Available as TopBraid EDG-Vocabulary Management
Many organizations have to work with metadata scattered across multiple spreadsheets, applications and modeling tools. All too often, these approaches result in metadata that quickly becomes out of sync and out of date. Irregular replication and updates across the spreadsheets complicate the collaborative review and analysis tasks needed to validate and align metadata.
TopBraid EDG-VM is a flexible, web-based system for managing semantic information models. It supports business stakeholders who need to collaborate on defining and linking enterprise vocabularies, taxonomies, thesauri and ontologies used for integrating content sources, enhancing navigation and search.
“The goal of an enterprise taxonomy is not to insist on uniformity, but rather to know and model knowledge across the enterprise.” How To Build A High-Octane Taxonomy For ECM And Enterprise Search Systems, Forrester Research
With TopBraid EDG-VM, enterprise vocabularies (taxonomies and ontologies) become an integral parts of enterprise-level information management. Beyond providing a rich set of vocabulary management capabilities, TopBraid EDG-VM focuses on the modularity and connectivity of vocabulary assets. It helps enterprises address the tension between the desire to have a single, centralized, master vocabulary system and the need to manage vocabularies in a context-specific, distributed manner.
TopBraid EDG-VM lets organizations create, connect and use:
- Taxonomies – vocabularies that are based on SKOS, the W3C standard for managing taxonomies and thesauruses. These information models contain hierarchies of terms connected using broader/narrower relationships. In addition to standard SKOS attributes, they can contain custom attributes and relationships.
- Ontologies – non SKOS-based vocabularies. Some may contain schema-level information only—that is, definitions of classes and properties. Other ontologies may also contain instances of classes. Instance data can be hierarchical, but these hierarchies use custom relationships such as 'part of' instead of broader/narrower. Using 'include', one can combine ontologies with SKOS-based taxonomies.
- Crosswalks – datasets that link information in one dataset with the information in another one.
- Corpora – datasets representing documents that are located in Content Management Systems. Requires Tagger with AutoClassification module.
- Content tag sets – link documents in a content management repository such as Microsoft SharePoint with relevant vocabulary terms as tags. Requires Tagger with AutoClassification module.
TopBraid EDG-VM gives you:
- Intuitive Graphical User Interface – with auto-completion, drag and drop and rich text editing.
- Flexible Data Model – ability to define and use any number of custom attributes and relationships.
- Audit Trails – every change is logged and time stamped, change history can be searched, changes can be rolled back if desired.
- Workflows and Working Copies – pre-built and custom workflows with associated virtual work-in-progress copies of vocabularies for controlled publishing, review and approval processes. Custom governance roles.
- Access Control – to models and their working copies based on assigned roles.
- Search – simple lookups and advanced search, saved searches, search services, tree and list views.
- Data Quality Rules – SKOS and SHACL rules and constraints available out of the box. Web users interface for creating custom validation rules.
- Content Tagging – Adding structure to unstructured data with EVN Tagger. Hundreds of document formats are supported.
- Crosswalks – Maps between terms and concepts in different vocabularies. Crosswalks can be auto-generated.
- Reporting and Dashboards – Built-in reports for hierarchy exports, spell checking, constraint violations and graph statistics. Advanced query-building tools and reporting through graphical interfaces.
- Import/Export – Import/Export from RDBMs, spreadsheets, XML, SPARQL endpoints, GraphQL endpoints, RDF and OWL.
- Integration – with third party systems and Linked Data clouds via Web Services interfaces and APIs. Connectors to content management systems.
- Easy Extensibility – using TopQuadrant's TopBraid platform.
- Standards – Built-in support for W3C standards such as SKOS, SPARQL, SHACL and OWL. Support for RESTful and GraphQL APIs.
- Enterprise-readiness – Scalable and robust architecture with DBMS deployment (choice of relational and RDF databases), high availability, LDAP and JMS integration.
In addition to the core TopBraid EDG-VM system, the following complementary products and add-on modules are available:
- TopBraid Explorer – a search, view and browse server for exploring vocabularies managed with TopBraid EDG-VM. TopBraid EDG-VM users can curate vocabularies and associated resources and then publish them to Explorer. TopBraid Explorer users can view published content and create comments for the editorial staff. TopBraid Explorer is installed on a separate server.
- TopBraid Tagger and AutoClassifier – a web-based tool for linking controlled vocabulary terms to content. TopBraid Tagger automates access to content and assignment of vocabulary tags while integrating review and curation processes.
- Customer Defined Asset Collection Types – an add-on module for any of the TopBraid EDG packages. Data governance today, increasingly, has to address all types of data and the different contexts in which it is created and used. Supporting the full diversity of data governance needs is a key design goal for TopBraid EDG. With any package, customers can extend and configure models and add custom properties. With this module, they can also use models to create new asset collection types and define features available for such collections. Extensions are easy to do, don’t require programming and will survive upgrades.
- TopBraid Data Platform – provides high availability TopBraid servers for continuous operation of business functions by replicating data across a cluster of servers.
For more information or to schedule a demo of TopBraid EDG-VM tailored to your needs, contact us at:
email@example.com or 919-300-7945.