Reference data has a major impact on everything from the integrity of business intelligence reports to the success or failure of system integration efforts. TopBraid EDG-RDM simplifies the management and distribution of reference data throughout your organization with simple point-and-click interfaces. Governance over reference data storage and distribution is enhanced with the addition of relevant and easily accessible metadata. EDG-RDM provides all the services you need to secure the benefits of centralized management of reference data – change in one place, publish to many!
Note: TopBraid EDG-RDM offers the same capabilities as the formerly separate product, TopBraid Reference Data Manager – plus more! EDG-RDM (“RDM in EDG”) uses the same codebase as TopBraid RDM, but includes additional features such as workflows and “Search the EDG,” a global search function created to improve the findability of assets managed within TopBraid EDG. You will also be able to seamlessly add additional packages available in EDG (e.g., Metadata Management), should you need to.
Mission-critical applications like product lifecycle management (PLM), enterprise resource planning (ERP), and customer relationship management (CRM) use reference data to classify and categorize business critical data such as product and customer information. The underlying challenge is that code tables are typically defined and managed on an application-by-application basis, and the content, format, representation and meaning of the codes within the code tables differs within each application.
As a result, to move data from one application to another, or to use data outside the context of its original application, IT staff must continuously map those codes to a variety of different values and representations. This error-prone and expensive process impacts every aspect of business operations and decision making. Organizations looking for a more efficient and less costly approach to these challenges are considering reference data management (RDM) solutions.
TopBraid EDG-RDM lets organizations:
- Lower risk – by providing auditability, provenance, and security of reference data that is required for external reporting and regulatory compliance.
- Decrease costs – by minimizing chances of costly errors associated with manual, ad hoc processes and misinterpretation of the meaning of codes.
- Succeed in the data-driven world – by putting management of reference data into the hands of business users.
TopBraid EDG-RDM gives you:
- Intuitive Graphical User Interface – with auto-completion, drag and drop, rich text editing, search and filtering, accessibility across all browsers – providing easy to use environment for the business and technical stakeholders
- Diverse Entity Types – administration of multi domain, private and public entity types, handles both complex and simple data models and their relationships across domains
- Crosswalks and Metadata – automates creation of crosswalks between code values from one operational system into another.
- Hierarchy Management – ability to relate codes hierarchically in different levels. Supports multiple hierarchies.
- Auditability – every change is logged and time stamped, change history can be searched, usage records capture where reference data is used
- Versioning – virtual work-in-progress copies of reference datasets allow parallel development of versions and enable controlled publishing, review and approval workflow
- Data Governance, Stewardship & Quality – configurable workflow driven governance to escalate, review, approve and reject changes. Accountability based on roles, support for task assignments, statuses and issues. Support for data validation rules
- Shared Semantics – providing the ability to define and share meaning of all information elements globally and in the context of specific use
- Repeatability of On-boarding – capturing processes and best practices for on-boarding of external/public reference data
- Wide and Diverse Distribution – support for a variety of interaction patterns (e.g. batch or real-time) and integration approaches
- Integration, Import & Export – with source systems and Linked Data clouds via Web Services interfaces and APIs. Services for validating conformance of source systems with governed reference data.
- Search – Simple lookup as well as wildcard / fuzzy or relationship-based search options. Ability to save search queries for re-use by people and as web services for access by other systems.
- Easy Extensibility – configurable user interfaces, reports, metamodel, import, export, web services and more including deep customizations using TopQuadrant's TopBraid platform
- Standards – built-in support for W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) standards for data and data models interchange on the web such as RDF and SPARQL
- Enterprise-readiness – scalable and robust architecture with high availability, single sign-on through LDAP/Active Directory integration and connectivity to other systems through web services and JMS
TopBraid EDG-RDM helps organizations:
- Reduce independent maintenance of code tables
Provides a central system where reference data will “live” and be maintained. With this, maintenance activities like adding new codes are done once, not multiple times, reducing authoring time and effort in making changes to reference data.
- Reduce data quality problems due to coding errors
Allows end users who use reference data (codes) in the process of data entry to better understand their meaning and, as a result, avoid mistakes of using wrong codes.
- Reduce the cost of designing code tables for databases
Provides a central system database administrators can go to get exports of “codes tables” with all the fields they may need.
- Reduce data integration issues due to inconsistent codes
When code tables used by different systems are maintained independently, they become inconsistent across the systems. This lack of consistency impacts the ability to integrate data. TopBraid EDG-RDM provides an up-to-date source that can be used as input for every code table in every database in the production landscape. Consistency is achieved and integration promoted.
- Make informed decisions based on reference data
Enables the right categorization and organization of data in reporting and analytics by providing a place for report writers to go to better understand the meaning of reference data and how it is used across the different systems.
Documentation / Info
TopBraid EDG-RDM Datasheet
TopBraid EDG-RDM User and ReferenceGuide
EDG-RDM Webinar and Q&A
FAQ: TopBraid Enterprise Data Governance
– Maturing Reference Data Management
– Maturing Information Governance with TopBraid EDG
– The Foundations of Successful Reference Data Management (by Malcolm Chisholm)
firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-300-7945.
See related TopBraid Reference Data Manager information and collateral below
MDM Institute Eval