TopBraid EDG–Metadata Management (TopBraid EDG-MM) is key to managing enterprise data as assets and understanding the lineage of the data and its metadata.
The data landscape is changing faster than before. Big data, legacy data, external data, internal data, data of data and much more; organizations today use all possible types of data because they can and because doing so creates value.
Increasing diversity also creates an increasing challenge of managing different types of data from various sources. It has become harder than ever to get a holistic view of the data ecosystem and also to get a detailed understanding of the data lineage, data use and impact.
TopBraid EDG-MM lets organizations create, connect and use:
- Data Asset Collections – catalogs of data resources that make up a data ecosystem. Data assets include databases, database columns and tables, data elements, datasets with their schemas, logical and physical models. EDG includes support for assets that make up a big data ecosystem such as metadata for Avro and other Schemas, Catalogs (e.g. HCatalog), Clusters, Configurations, Containers, Schedulers and more.
- Technical Asset Collections – catalogs of systems, business applications and technical hardware like servers and networks.
- Enterprise Asset Collections – catalogs an enterprise's business functions, activities, processes, and information assets such as documents, forms and reports.
- Lineage Models – assets in any collection can already be directly linked with each other to, for example, say that a business application stores data in some database. Lineage Models are used when there is a need for a more detailed specification of data transformations as it flows between data sources and applications to users, in support of business activities and functions.
- Requirements – catalog relevant requirements such as data requirements, regulatory requirements and security requirements and support traceability for other EDG-managed assets. .
When combined with the Business Glossaries package, EDG Metadata Management enables mapping of key data elements and other assets to business terms. When combined with the Reference Data package, EDG Metadata Management lets users to specify permissible data values for tables and data elements as reference data.
TopBraid EDG Metadata Management gives you:
- Intuitive Graphical User Interface – with auto-completion, drag and drop and rich text editing.
- Flexible Data Model – ability to define and use any number of custom attributes and relationships.
- Audit Trails – every change is logged and time stamped, change history can be searched, changes can be rolled back if desired.
- Workflows and Working Copies – pre-built and custom workflows with associated virtual work-in-progress copies to support data governance review and approval processes.
- Configurable Governance Roles – for business areas and data domains as well as for individual collections.
- Reporting and Dashboards – Built-in reports and configurable role-based governance metrics. Advanced query-building tools and reporting through graphical interfaces. Visual dashboards to explore and drill down information about data lineage, traceability and impact.
- Search – simple lookups and advanced search, saved searches, search services, tree and list views.
- Data Quality Rules – built-in SHACL rules and constraints available out of the box. Web users interface for creating custom validation rules.
- Data Profiling – Ability to auto-create data catalogs by directly ingesting information from a data source.
- Automation of Linking – Maps between business, technical and operational metadata can be auto-generated.
- Import/Export – Import/Export from RDBMs, spreadsheets, XML, SPARQL endpoints, GraphQL endpoints, RDF and OWL.
- Easy Extensibility – using TopQuadrant's TopBraid platform.
- Standards – Built-in support for W3C standards such as SPARQL, SHACL and OWL. Support for RESTful and GraphQL APIs.
- Enterprise-readiness – Scalable and robust architecture with DBMS deployment (choice of relational and RDF databases), high availability, single sign-on through LDAP/Active Directory integration, integration with enterprise systems through web services and JMS.
In addition to the core TopBraid EDG-MM system, the following add-on modules are available:
- TopBraid Explorer – a search, view and browse server for exploring assets managed with TopBraid EDG-MM. TopBraid EDG-MM users can curate information about data and technical assets and then publish it to Explorer. TopBraid Explorer users can view published information, export data and run queries. They can also post comments and requests for the data governance staff. TopBraid Explorer is installed on a separate server.
- Customer Defined Asset Collection Types – an add-on module for any of the TopBraid EDG packages. Data governance today, increasingly, has to address all types of data and the different contexts in which it is created and used. Supporting the full diversity of data governance needs is a key design goal for TopBraid EDG. With any package, customers can extend and configure models and add custom properties. With this module, they can also use models to create new asset collection types and define features available for such collections. Extensions are easy to do, don’t require programming and will survive upgrades.
- TopBraid Data Platform – provides high availability TopBraid servers for continuous operation of business functions by replicating data across a cluster of servers.
For more information or to schedule a demo of TopBraid EDG tailored to your needs, contact us at:
email@example.com or 919-300-7945.