TopBraid EDG–Business Glossaries lets organizations define business terms and, in combination with other packages, link them to other enterprise assets establishing a connection between business and IT and enhancing organizational collaboration. Evaluate TopBraid EDG-Business Glossaries with a web-based, multi-user server account!
TopBraid EDG–Business Glossaries lets you create and manage a common vocabulary of terms important to your organization to ensure clear communication and improve productivity.
A business glossary goes beyond just a list of terms. Linking terms to IT assets establishes a connection between business and IT and enhances organizational collaboration. These terms can be categorized in a way that is relevant to your organization. Multiple glossaries can be developed, interlinked, searched and explored. Valid definitions of values and business rules can then be managed and made available across the organization.
Glossary terms can be a 'flat' alphabetical list or they can be organized into hierarchies. In TopBraid EDG, the primary user interface for viewing and editing glossary terms looks like a spreadsheet. When working with glossaries, users can also switch into a hierarchical view and pick any defined relationship between terms to present them as a taxonomical tree.
Glossaries are designed to improve understanding of data’s context and usage. Glossary terms not only have descriptions of their meaning, but they also define business context of use and can be linked to the underlying technical metadata to provide a direct association between business terms and data sources and data elements. In TopBraid EDG, glossary terms include description of business rules and permissible values – both, in plain English as well as in structured, executable rules that are used to automate connections between data elements and business terms. They may also connect to reference datasets and enumerations that hold lists of values specific to a given term such as “customer status”.
When combined with the Metadata Management package, EDG Business Glossaries enables mapping of key data elements and other assets to business terms.
TopBraid EDG Business Glossaries gives you:
- Intuitive Graphical User Interface – with auto-completion, drag and drop and rich text editing.
- Flexible Data Model – ability to define and use any number of custom attributes and relationships for your business terms.
- Audit Trails – every change is logged and time stamped, change history can be searched, changes can be rolled back if desired.
- Workflows and Working Copies – pre-built and custom workflows with associated virtual work-in-progress copies to support data governance review and approval processes.
- Configurable Governance Roles – for business areas and data domains as well as for individual glossaries.
- Reporting and Dashboards – Built-in reports and configurable role-based governance metrics. Advanced query-building tools and reporting through graphical interfaces. Visual dashboards to explore and drill down lineage, traceability and impact information.
- Search – simple lookups and advanced search, saved searches, search services, tree and list views.
- Data Quality Rules – built-in SHACL rules and constraints available out of the box. Web users interface for creating custom validation rules to enforce best practices and ensure high quality of your business glossaries.
- Automation of Linking – Maps between business, technical and operational metadata can be auto-generated.
- Import/Export – Import/Export from spreadsheets, XML, SPARQL endpoints, GraphQL endpoints, RDF and OWL.
- Easy Extensibility – using TopQuadrant's TopBraid platform.
- Standards – Built-in support for W3C standards such as SPARQL, SHACL and OWL. Support for RESTful and GraphQL APIs.
- Enterprise-readiness – Scalable and robust architecture with DBMS deployment (choice of relational and RDF databases), high availability, single sign-on through LDAP/Active Directory integration, integration with enterprise systems through web services and JMS.
In addition to the core TopBraid EDG Business Glossaries system, the following add-on modules are available:
- TopBraid Explorer – a search, view and browse server for exploring terms and glossaries managed with TopBraid EDG. TopBraid EDG users can curate business glossaries and then publish them to Explorer. TopBraid Explorer users can view published information, export data and run queries. They can also post comments and requests for the data governance staff. TopBraid Explorer is installed on a separate server.
- Customer Defined Asset Collection Types – an add-on module for any of the TopBraid EDG packages. Data governance today, increasingly, has to address all types of data and the different contexts in which it is created and used. Supporting the full diversity of data governance needs is a key design goal for TopBraid EDG. With any package, customers can extend and configure models and add custom properties. With this module, they can also use models to create new asset collection types and define features available for such collections. Extensions are easy to do, don’t require programming and will survive upgrades.
- TopBraid Data Platform – provides high availability TopBraid servers for continuous operation of business functions by replicating data across a cluster of servers.
For more information or to schedule a demo of TopBraid EDG tailored to your needs, contact us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-300-7945.