About This Webinar
Aired Live on: February 22, 2018
This webinar is the third in our series spotlighting Applied Data Governance. In Part 3, we transition to a day in the life of a Reference Data Steward responsible for Reference Data Management (RDM). In this role, he manages the use of reference data originating within the enterprise as well as reference datasets maintained externally by organizations responsible for industry standards. We will describe and demonstrate the benefits of managing reference data as part of a larger data governance initiative. Using TopBraid EDG, TopQuadrant’s data governance platform, the Reference Data Steward will bring internal reference data under governance and manage the activity of updating the enterprise’s existing use of an external industry standard reference dataset. In the demo you will see:
- Automated modeling and import of new reference data for centralized management and distribution
- Enrichment of new reference data with linkage to an existing internal reference dataset
- Automated crosswalking of local codes to the standard enterprise codes for a given entity
- Distribution of reference data for use by existing enterprise applications
- Upgrading to a new release of a public reference dataset from an external source
Who Should Attend:
Enterprise Architects, Solution Architects, Data Architects, Chief Data Officers and Chief Information Officers, Data Governance Project and Program Managers, Data Stewards, Data Quality Managers, IT Implementers, Business Intelligence Program Managers and Data Warehousing Program Managers.
About our Applied Data Governance Series
Data governance can mean different things to different organizations and to different people within an organization. What is essential is that it delivers value by aligning management of data with an organization’s uses of data to achieve its business goals. To accomplish this, there is a lot to know and do – from data profiling and dictionaries to policies and processes and everything in between. As a result, applied data governance requires practical, day-to-day integration of top-down, bottom-up and middle-out processes and capabilities. Effective end-to-end data governance is only possible through such integration. Many roles within a company deliver or derive business value as a result of data governance, often in collaboration with each other. In the series we will focus on the various aspects of applied data governance as performed and experienced by different stakeholders, and the connections between them.
Part 1 in the series, A Day in the Life of a Business Steward focused on some typical activities of a Business Data Steward while managing business glossaries and collaborating with other members of the data governance team. It highlighted the business value delivered – improved quality and understandability of business data – as a result of the work of a Business Data Steward. Part 2 in the series, A Day in the Life of a Technical Data Steward focused on automated data profiling.
In this webinar we will:
- Introduce the value of RDM and steps needed for implementing it.
- Provide a high-level overview of how TopBraid EDG addresses key requirements to support a modern RDM solution and enables a comprehensive but incremental approach.
- Discuss capabilities that TopBraid EDG provides for governing both new and existing reference data emphasizing techniques for getting started with RDM.
- Demonstrate importing, mapping and curating reference data within a collaborative, multi-user environment; and connecting RDM with broader data governance assets and capabilities.
About the Presenters:
Jack Spivak is a Semantic Solutions Architect at TopQuadrant. He performs solution requirements, architecture analysis, design, and semantic model-driven application development on TopBraid EVN and the TopBraid platform, especially in the areas of ontology development, custom and standardized controlled vocabularies and the relationships between these. Jack came to TopQuadrant in 2013.