TopBraid Enterprise Vocabulary Net™ (TopBraid EVN) is key to improving search, achieving clarity on enterprise terminology, aligning the meaning of data across data sources and ensuring optimal re-use, delivery and navigation of information. The vocabulary management capabilities provided in TopBraid EVN are now also available as one of the governance packages within TopBraid Enterprise Data Governance (EDG). Comparison of TopBraid EVN vs. TopBraid EDG.
Many organizations have to work with metadata scattered across multiple spreadsheets, applications and modeling tools. All too often, these approaches result in metadata that quickly becomes out of sync and out of date. Irregular replication and updates across the spreadsheets complicate the collaborative review and analysis tasks needed to validate and align metadata.
TopBraid EVN is a flexible, web-based system for managing semantic information models. It supports business stakeholders who need to collaborate on defining and linking enterprise vocabularies, taxonomies, thesauri and ontologies used for information integration, navigation and search.
“The goal of an enterprise taxonomy is not to insist on uniformity, but rather to know and model knowledge across the enterprise.” How To Build A High-Octane Taxonomy For ECM And Enterprise Search Systems, Forrester Research
With TopBraid EVN, business vocabularies become an integral parts of enterprise-level information management. Beyond providing rich set of vocabulary management capabilities, TopBraid EVN focuses on the modularity and connectivity of vocabulary assets. It helps enterprises address the tension between the desire to have a single, centralized, master vocabulary system and the need to manage vocabularies in a context-specific, distributed manner.
TopBraid EVN lets organizations create, connect and use:
- Taxonomies – vocabularies that are based on SKOS, the W3C standard for managing taxonomies and thesauruses. These information models contain hierarchies of terms connected using broader/narrower relationships. In addition to standard SKOS attributes, they can contain custom attributes and relationships.
- Ontologies – non SKOS-based vocabularies. Some may contain schema-level information only—that is, definitions of classes and properties. Other ontologies may also contain instances of classes. Instance data can be hierarchical, but these hierarchies use custom relationships such as 'part of' instead of broader/narrower. Using 'include', one can combine ontologies with SKOS-based taxonomies.
- Content tag sets – datasets that link information in one dataset with the information in another one. Typically, one of the datasets is a vocabulary whose values are used to tag information in another dataset. The dataset containing items to be tagged is often a view into a content management repository such as Microsoft SharePoint.
TopBraid EVN gives you:
- Intuitive Graphical User Interface – with auto-completion, drag and drop and rich text editing
- Flexible Data Model – ability to define and use any number of custom attributes and relationships
- Audit Trails – every change is logged and time stamped, change history can be searched, changes can be rolled back if desired
- Working copies – virtual work-in-progress copies of vocabularies allow parallel development of versions and enable controlled publishing, review and approval workflow
- Access Control – to models and their working copies based on assigned roles
- Search – simple lookups and advanced search, saved searches, search services, tree and list views
- Data Quality Rules – SKOS and OWL rules and constraints available out of the box. Web users interface for creating custom validation rules.
- Reporting – Built-in reports for hierarchy exports, spell checking, constraint violations and graph statistics Advanced query-building tools and reporting through graphical interfaces.
- Import/Export – Import/Export from RDBMs, RSS feeds, spreadsheets, XML, SPARQL endpoints, RDF and OWL
- Content Tagging – Adding structure to unstructured data with EVN Tagger.
- Integration – with third party systems and Linked Data clouds via Web Services interfaces and APIs.
- Easy extensibility – using TopQuadrant's TopBraid platform
- Standards – Built-in support for W3C standards such as SKOS, SPARQL and OWL
- Enterprise-readiness – Scalable and robust architecture with DBMS deployment (choice of relational and RDF databases), LDAP and JMS integration
In addition to the core TopBraid EVN system, the following add-on modules are available:
- TopBraid EVN Explorer – a web-based browse-only tool for exploring vocabularies managed with TopBraid EVN. TopBraid EVN users can publish vocabularies for use in this browsing environment. The tool offers a tree view, an ‘A through Z’ view and comprehensive search features. TopBraid EVN Explorer can be installed on a separate server and is licensed for unlimited number of users.
- TopBraid EVN Tagger – a web-based tool for linking controlled vocabulary terms to content. Content resources can be tagged manually or auto-tagged using Tagger's Auto-Classification feature. Users can then review the results of auto-tagging.
Comparison of Products: TopBraid EVN | TopBraid EDG
|Support for||TopBraid EVN||TopBraid EDG|
|Big Data Assets||X|
|Content Tag Sets||X||X|
Case Study and Demos
TopBraid EVN-Overview & Demo
Introducing TopBraid EVN
Working with Custom Metadata
Webinar Recording: EVN Tagger with AutoClassifier in Action
Complete list of EVN videos