TopBraid Enterprise Vocabulary Net™ (TopBraid EVN) is key to improving search, achieving clarity on enterprise terminology, aligning the meaning of data across data sources and ensuring optimal content re-use, delivery and navigation.
Many organizations have to work with metadata scattered across multiple spreadsheets, applications and modeling tools. All too often, these approaches result in metadata that quickly becomes out of sync and out of date. Irregular replication and updates across the spreadsheets complicate the collaborative review and analysis tasks needed to validate and align metadata.
TopBraid EVN is a flexible, web-based system for managing semantic information models. It supports business stakeholders who need to collaborate on defining and linking enterprise vocabularies, taxonomies, thesauri and ontologies used for information integration, navigation and search.
“The goal of an enterprise taxonomy is not to insist on uniformity, but rather to know and model knowledge across the enterprise.” How To Build A High-Octane Taxonomy For ECM And Enterprise Search Systems, Forrester Research
With TopBraid EVN, business vocabularies become an integral parts of enterprise-level information management. Beyond providing rich set of vocabulary management capabilities, TopBraid EVN focuses on the modularity and connectivity of vocabulary assets. It helps enterprises address the tension between the desire to have a single, centralized, master vocabulary system and the need to manage vocabularies in a context-specific, distributed manner.
TopBraid EVN lets organizations create, connect and use:
- Vocabularies – datasets that are based on SKOS, the W3C standard for managing taxonomies and thesauruses.
- Ontologies – non SKOS-based datasets. Some may contain schema-level information only—that is, definitions of classes and properties. Other ontologies may also contain reference data. Using imports, one can combine ontologies with SKOS-based vocabularies.
- Content tag sets – datasets that link information in one dataset with the information in another one. Typically, one of the datasets is a vocabulary whose values are used to tag information in another dataset. The dataset containing tagged items often comes from a content management repository such as Microsoft SharePoint.
TopBraid EVN gives you:
- Intuitive Graphical User Interface – with auto-completion, drag and drop and rich text editing
- Flexible Data Model – ability to define and use any number of custom attributes and relationships
- Audit Trails – every change is logged and time stamped, change history can be searched, changes can be rolled back if desired
- Working copies – virtual work-in-progress copies of vocabularies allow parallel development of versions and enable controlled publishing, review and approval workflow
- Access Control – to models and their working copies based on assigned roles
- Search – simple lookups and advanced search, saved searches, search services, tree and list views
- Data Quality Rules – SKOS and OWL rules and constraints available out of the box. Web users interface for creating custom validation rules.
- Reporting – Built-in reports for hierarchy exports, spell checking, constraint violations and graph statistics Advanced query-building tools and reporting through graphical interfaces.
- Import/Export – Import/Export from RDBMs, RSS feeds, spreadsheets, XML, SPARQL endpoints, RDF and OWL
- Integration – with third party systems and Linked Data clouds via Web Services interfaces and APIs.
- Easy extensibility – using TopQuadrant's TopBraid platform
- Standards – Built-in support for W3C standards such as SKOS, SPARQL and OWL
- Enterprise-readiness – Scalable and robust architecture with DBMS deployment (choice of relational and RDF databases), LDAP and JMS integration
In addition to the core TopBraid EVN system, the following add-on modules are available:
- TopBraid EVN Viewer – a web-based browse-only tool for exploring vocabularies managed with TopBraid EVN. TopBraid EVN users can publish vocabularies for use in this browsing environment. The tool offers a tree view, an ‘A through Z’ view and comprehensive search features. TopBraid EVN Viewer can be installed on a separate server and is licensed for unlimited number of users.
- TopBraid EVN Tagger – a web-based tool for linking controlled vocabulary terms to content. Content resources are tagged, or annotated, through a visual user interface that displays the context for both the content and the vocabulary. The result is a set of metadata properties that establish a named relationship between the content and vocabulary, and vice-versa. For example, a resource representing a news story can be linked to vocabulary topics of Election and Weather through a property named “has subject,” stating that a given news story has topics of Election and Weather. TopBraid EVN Tagger can also be used to review and curate tags generated through automated text extraction.